Enjoy Discounted Exercise Equipment From Leading Sales Outlets
SEARCH IT

CHANNELS
Encyclopedia Astronautica
SERVICES
 
Spacer Homebase
European military airlift project finally gets lift-off
BONN (AFP) May 27, 2003
Europe's ambitious plan to develop an independent strategic military airlift capability finally took off Tuesday when manufacturer Airbus signed a contract with the organisation grouping the seven countries taking part.

It is the biggest joint venture ever in the European defence industry, and was seen as crucial for the credibility of the European Union's commitment to strengthen its military capability and coordination.

Tuesday's signing confirmed orders for 180 A400M military transport planes with delivery from 2008.

Germany has ordered 60 aircraft, followed by France with 50, Spain with 27, Britain with 25, Turkey with 10, Belgium with seven and Luxembourg with one.

They will replace ageing military transport planes across Europe, such as the US Hercules C-130 and the Franco-German Transall C-160.

The overall project, from research to production, is estimated at about 20 billion euros (23.7 billion dollars).

The contract was signed at the base in Bonn, western Germany, of OCCAR, the organisation representing the seven countries.

It was inked by OCCAR's German director, Klaus von Sperber, and Francisco Fernandez Sainz, the Spanish executive director of Airbus Military, the Airbus subsidiary created for the project.

Richard Thompson, the commercial director of Airbus Military, predicted at least 200 further orders.

"We think a conservative view is 200 aircraft in the coming 15-20 years on top of the 180 already planned, so we are looking at roughly 400 in total.

"It could be even more."

He said there was interest from Canada, Norway, South Africa and Sweden.

The development phase would be carried out at the Airbus site in Toulouse, southern France, and subsequent production concentrated at the Spanish city of Seville.

Airbus Military, whose parent company Airbus is itself 80-percent owned by the European aerospace group EADS, hailed it as "the most ambitious European military procurement programme ever undertaken."

The total project is expected to create or maintain 40,000 jobs in Europe over 20 years, 10,500 of them in Germany alone, with the orders confirmed so far generating an initial revenue of two billion euros by 2005.

The A400M programme has taken seven years to get off the ground, following the withdrawals of Italy and Portugal and reduced orders both from Germany and Britain which brought the initial total down from 196 aircraft to 180.

Tuesday's signing became possible after a German parliamentary commission gave the final go-ahead last week for Berlin's order, which had been cut from 73 aircraft last year due to financial problems.

The A400M, with its four turbo-prop engines, is being billed by Airbus as the world's fastest new-generation aircraft of its kind, markedly cheaper to run than the Transall and with significantly more lift capability.

Capable of flying unrefuelled for 4,400 kilometres (2,750 miles) and at a speed of up to 780 kilometres per hour, it will be a vast improvement on the current generation of transport aircraft.

It will take a maximum payload of 37 tonnes, which could range from heavy armoured vehicles, artillery and helicopters to cargo pallets and troops.

The aircraft is desgined to provide a rapid reaction capability in crisis situations, one of the chief areas which the European Union says it wants its burgeoning military cooperation to concentrate upon.

By developing its own airlift capability, Brussels would no longer have to rely on US-built aircraft if it wanted, for instance, to deploy troops quickly to troublespots around the world.

All rights reserved. Copyright 2003 Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.

Quick Links
SpaceWar
Search SpaceWar
Subscribe To SpaceWar Express

SpaceWar Search Engine
SUBSCRIBE TO THE SPACEWAR NEWSLETTER
SubscribeUnsubscribe
  

WAR.WIRE
  • UK finds underwater suspected Russian nuke spy sensors: report
  • Iran rejects Trump call for direct nuclear talks
  • Yemen Huthi media say one dead in air strikes
  • Iran says wants dialogue 'on equal footing' with US
  • India navy delivers aid to quake-hit Myanmar
  • Cambodia hails opening of naval base renovated by China
  • North Korea's Kim fires new sniper rifle while visiting troops
  • US defense chief to visit Panama next week: Pentagon
  • Burkina junta critic arrested in growing crackdown: civil group
  • Russian missile strike kills 14 in Ukraine leader's home city
    SPACEDAILY NEWS
     Feb 11, 2005
  • NASA Observations Help Determine Titan Wind Speeds
  • Cassini Spacecraft Witnesses Saturn's Blues
  • US Orientation Engine Fails On ISS
  • NASA Names Two Future Space Shuttle Crews
  • Simulations Show How Growing Black Holes Regulate Galaxy Formation
  • In The Stars: Odd Stars, Odder Planets
  • Natural Climate Change May Be Larger Than Commonly Thought
  • Earth Gets A Warm Feeling All Over
  • Satamatics Flying At Over 50,000 Terminals
  • Digital Angel To Expand OuterLink Subsidiary's Flight Tracking System
  • LockMart Delivers First Modernized GPS Satellite To USAF For May Launch
  • World's Fastest Oscillating Nanomachine Holds Promise For Quantum Computing
  • Carnegie Mellon's Red Team Seeks $2 Million Robot Racing Prize
  • Kionix Ships The World's Smallest High-Performance Tri-Axis Accelerometer
  • Northrop Grumman/Raytheon Team To Compete For GOES-R System
  • Blue Planet: The Fading Songs Of Whales
  • New Cameras Turn Night Into Day
  • North Korea Suspends Talks, Says It Will Build More Nuclear Bombs
  • Analysis: How Super Is The Superpower?
  • Walker's World: Why Rice Should Thank Zarqawi
  • NATO Agrees Expansion Of Afghan Force
  • North Korea Probably Bluffing Over Nuclear Threat: Australia
  • US Options Seen Limited Against Nuclear-Armed North Korea
  • Six Iraqi Policemen Killed, US Helicopters Fire Missiles To End Siege
  • Germany And Malaysia Urge Peace In Tsunami-Ravaged Aceh
  • Task Of Collecting Indonesia's Tsunami Dead Will Take Six Months: Red Cross
  • EU Brings Forward Preferential Trade Scheme For Developing Countries
  • Cambodia's Former Forestry Monitor Blasts World Bank Over Logging
  • Thales Posts Lower Sales In 2004, Missing Own Target
  • Rolls-Royce Profits Rise; Orders At Record Levels

  • The contents herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2002 - SpaceDaily. AFP Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement