NATO pledged no let-up Wednesday in its manhunt for top war crimes suspect Radovan Karadzic, after a near-miss by alliance forces was reported this week."The effort will continue... we will not stop," said a NATO official, after chief UN prosecutor Carla Del Ponte said an operation to capture the former Bosnian Serb chief last month missed him by just two hours.
"We as an organization will not suddenly give up on the chase," said the official, asking not to be identified.
Indicted by the UN court for genocide for his role in Bosnia's 1992-1995 war, Karadzic remains for many in the Balkans the symbol of the worst atrocities perpetrated in Europe since World War II.
Del Ponte told Bosnian television Tuesday that "SFOR (the NATO-led force) arrived two hours too late" at a location where Karadzic was known to be.
The prosecutor for The Hague-based International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY), said she had "no doubt that SFOR is doing everything possible" to arrest the fugitive by the end of the year.
All rights reserved. Copyright 2003 Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.
Quick Links
SpaceWar
Search SpaceWar
Subscribe To SpaceWar Express