Enjoy Discounted Exercise Equipment From Leading Sales Outlets
SEARCH IT

CHANNELS
Encyclopedia Astronautica
SERVICES
 
Spacer Homebase
NKorea agrees to fresh nuclear talks in Beijing next month
SEOUL (AFP) Apr 29, 2004
North Korea has agreed to attend talks in Beijing next month aimed at setting up a fresh round of six-nation negotiations on its nuclear weapons drive, officials said Thursday.

"The six countries have agreed that the working group's meeting will open on May 12 in Beijing," Deputy Foreign Minister Lee Soo-Hyuck, Seoul's chief delegate to the six-way talks, told journalists.

"The meeting is open-ended, without a closing date fixed."

The announcement was made possible only after North Korea agreed to the opening date for the "preparatory meeting" to help the six-nation talks go smoothly, Lee said.

A row over North Korea's nuclear program has been deadlocked since October 2002, when Washington said the Stalinist state had broken a 1994 nuclear freeze by launching a secret weapons drive.

Two rounds of six-party talks -- bringing together the two Koreas, the United States, Japan, China and Russia -- have failed to narrow differences over the US demand and Pyongyang's denial that it was running an enriched-uranium program.

A new round of talks is expected before the end of June. Working parties are to be set up to resolve contentious issues.

The forthcoming working-group talks will tackle "the complete, verifiable and irreversible dismantling (CVID) of North Korea's nuclear programs and the CVID-based nuclear freezing for a peaceful settlement," Lee said.

Ning Fukui, Beijing's special envoy for Korean Peninsula affairs, called for a "flexible" approach toward the nuclear stand-off after arriving in South Korea for a two-day visit.

"At working group talks, participants should have in-depth talks to seek ways of defusing tensions over the North Korean nuclear issue," he said.

"We hope the participants will be more flexible and take a realistic approach so that progress can be made," Ning told reporters. He is expected to head the Chinese team at the working group meeting.

The date for the working group meeting was fixed after a visit by North Korean leader Kim Jong-Il to China last week.

The issue attracted new attention Thursday after the Washington Post newspaper reported the United States believed North Korea could have at least eight nuclear bombs.

The estimate is based on a detailed analysis of plutonium products found on clothing worn by an unofficial US delegation which visited North Korean nuclear facilities several months ago, it said.

But Seoul dismissed the news report as groundless.

"After checking the Washington Post report out with the US government, we learned that it was groundless information. The Washington Post also clarified it was guesswork," Deputy Foreign Minister Lee said.

Up to now, Washington estimates, Pyongyang has developed enough weapons grade material at the nuclear facilities it reopened last year to make possibly two devices.

Last year, Pyongyang claimed it had finished reprocessing around 8,000 spent nuclear fuel rods, which experts believe can give it enough plutonium to make up to six more nuclear bombs.

The Post said US intelligence officials concluded that a separate North Korean uranium-enrichment program would be operational by 2007, with capacity to produce as many as six additional nuclear weapons a year.

Other US officials downplayed but did not deny the reports over the possible size of North Korea's nuclear arsenal.

"I'm not aware of a new number," Secretary of State Colin Powell said in Berlin. He reiterated Washington's position that Pyongyang should use six-way talks to come to an agreement to disarm.

South Korean Unification Minister Jeong Se-Hyun downplayed the report as "one of allegations."

Jeong said he would call for a positive response from North Korea over the impasse at inter-Korean minister-level talks to be held next week in Pyongayng.

All rights reserved. Copyright 2003 Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.

Quick Links
SpaceWar
Search SpaceWar
Subscribe To SpaceWar Express

SpaceWar Search Engine
SUBSCRIBE TO THE SPACEWAR NEWSLETTER
SubscribeUnsubscribe
  

WAR.WIRE
  • Yemen Huthi media say one dead in air strikes
  • Iran says wants dialogue 'on equal footing' with US
  • India navy delivers aid to quake-hit Myanmar
  • Cambodia hails opening of naval base renovated by China
  • North Korea's Kim fires new sniper rifle while visiting troops
  • US defense chief to visit Panama next week: Pentagon
  • Burkina junta critic arrested in growing crackdown: civil group
  • Russian missile strike kills 14 in Ukraine leader's home city
  • Russian missile strike kills 12 in Ukraine leader's home city
  • Cuba looks to sun to solve its energy crisis
    SPACEDAILY NEWS
     Feb 11, 2005
  • NASA Observations Help Determine Titan Wind Speeds
  • Cassini Spacecraft Witnesses Saturn's Blues
  • US Orientation Engine Fails On ISS
  • NASA Names Two Future Space Shuttle Crews
  • Simulations Show How Growing Black Holes Regulate Galaxy Formation
  • In The Stars: Odd Stars, Odder Planets
  • Natural Climate Change May Be Larger Than Commonly Thought
  • Earth Gets A Warm Feeling All Over
  • Satamatics Flying At Over 50,000 Terminals
  • Digital Angel To Expand OuterLink Subsidiary's Flight Tracking System
  • LockMart Delivers First Modernized GPS Satellite To USAF For May Launch
  • World's Fastest Oscillating Nanomachine Holds Promise For Quantum Computing
  • Carnegie Mellon's Red Team Seeks $2 Million Robot Racing Prize
  • Kionix Ships The World's Smallest High-Performance Tri-Axis Accelerometer
  • Northrop Grumman/Raytheon Team To Compete For GOES-R System
  • Blue Planet: The Fading Songs Of Whales
  • New Cameras Turn Night Into Day
  • North Korea Suspends Talks, Says It Will Build More Nuclear Bombs
  • Analysis: How Super Is The Superpower?
  • Walker's World: Why Rice Should Thank Zarqawi
  • NATO Agrees Expansion Of Afghan Force
  • North Korea Probably Bluffing Over Nuclear Threat: Australia
  • US Options Seen Limited Against Nuclear-Armed North Korea
  • Six Iraqi Policemen Killed, US Helicopters Fire Missiles To End Siege
  • Germany And Malaysia Urge Peace In Tsunami-Ravaged Aceh
  • Task Of Collecting Indonesia's Tsunami Dead Will Take Six Months: Red Cross
  • EU Brings Forward Preferential Trade Scheme For Developing Countries
  • Cambodia's Former Forestry Monitor Blasts World Bank Over Logging
  • Thales Posts Lower Sales In 2004, Missing Own Target
  • Rolls-Royce Profits Rise; Orders At Record Levels

  • The contents herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2002 - SpaceDaily. AFP Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement