![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
|
. |
Gaza operation to continue as long as militants attack Israelis: Sharon JERUSALEM (AFP) Oct 14, 2004 Prime Minister Ariel Sharon appeared in no mood Thursday to order a swift halt to Israel's ongoing operation in northern Gaza, which has left more than 120 Palestinians dead since its launch last month. Despite criticism from senior officers, who say the operation has gone on for too long and has become counterproductive, Sharon said the offensive would continue until Palestinian militants stopped attacking Israelis. "The operation will continue as long as the citizens of Israel are attacked," Sharon was quoted as telling a closed-door session of parliament's foreign affairs and defense committee. His comments were at odds however with the views of senior officers, quoted in Thursday's Maariv daily, who said it was time to withdraw. "The operation has exhausted itself, and continuing it is liable only to lead to complications," one senior officer told the newspaper on condition of anonymity. "Every additional day that passes makes the humanitarian situation in the northern Gaza Strip worse, and in the meantime, the Palestinians are learning the IDF's (army's) patterns and the location of the troops in Jabaliya, Beit Hanun and Beit Lahiya, making it possible for them to strike at the soldiers." Five more Palestinians, including a 70-year-old man, were killed overnight as the army pushed on with its so-called Operation Days of Penitence, its deadliest offensive in Gaza since the Palestinian uprising began more than four years ago. The operation was designed to put an end to rocket attacks fired at southern Israel from Gaza by militant groups such as Hamas. Its original focus was the Jabaliya refugee camp and the town of Beit Hanun, but the operation was broadened on Wednesday when troops moved into the town of Beit Lahiya. However, in a sign that the operation is failing to achieve its aims, two more Qassam rockets -- which take their name from Hamas' armed wing -- were fired from the center of Beit Lahiya shortly after troops had moved in. "The benefit of continuing the operation is doubtful because even when the IDF is in the northern Gaza Strip, this does not completely prevent Qassam rocket fire at Israel," another officer told Maariv. "Ultimately, after Israel withdraws, the question whether Qassam rockets will continue will only be up to the Palestinian security forces, who will have to stop the fire." Israel is planning to pull all its troops and the 8,000 Jewish settlers in Gaza out of the territory next year. All rights reserved. � 2005 Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.
|
. |
|