SpaceWar.com - Your World At War
Trump admin appeals new order blocking trans troops ban
Washington, March 28 (AFP) Mar 28, 2025
President Donald Trump's administration on Friday appealed a new court order that temporarily barred the implementation of his ban on transgender troops serving in the military, a court filing said.

Judge Benjamin Settle issued the temporary injunction on Thursday, blocking the ban that Trump ordered in late January shortly after taking office for his second term.

Settle's order followed one issued last week by Judge Ana Reyes that likewise temporarily blocks the ban. The Trump administration has already appealed that order, which is set to go into effect on Friday evening.

A third judge issued a more limited temporary restraining order earlier this week barring the government from dismissing two specific plaintiffs from the military for being transgender.

In a January 27 executive order, Trump stated that "expressing a false 'gender identity' divergent from an individual's sex cannot satisfy the rigorous standards necessary for military service."

The Pentagon followed that up with a memo issued in late February stating that it would remove transgender troops from the military unless they obtain a waiver on a case-by-case basis, as well as prevent others from joining.

Transgender Americans have faced a roller coaster of changing policies on military service in recent years, with Democratic administrations seeking to permit them to serve openly, while Trump has sought to keep them out of the ranks.


ADVERTISEMENT




Space News from SpaceDaily.com
20 years of Hubble data reveals evolving weather patterns on Uranus
Old Missions, New Discoveries: NASA's Data Archives Accelerate Science
Spectrum rocket completes short-duration test flight

24/7 Energy News Coverage
Clouds and conspiracies: concerns over push to make rain
3D nanotech blankets offer new path to clean drinking water
Finland closes last coal-fired power plant

Military Space News, Nuclear Weapons, Missile Defense
China probes for key target weak spots with 'paralysing' Taiwan drills
Israel defence minister says Gaza offensive expands, will seize 'large areas'
NATO presses to keep Trump on board, but is he hobbling alliance?

24/7 News Coverage
Stock markets mixed as uncertainty rules ahead of Trump tariffs
A new clue to how multicellular life may have evolved
Biomass satellite prepped for launch fuel load



All rights reserved. Copyright Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.