Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Military Space News .




THE STANS
IS advance spells trouble for Turkey's Kurdish peace process
by Staff Writers
Istanbul (AFP) Sept 25, 2014


Syrian rebel force of up to 15,000 needed to defeat IS: US
Washington (AFP) Sept 26, 2014 - A Syrian rebel force of 12,000 to 15,000 will be needed to push back Islamic State militants in the country's east, three times the number of fighters due to be trained by the United States, the top US military officer said Friday.

In offering the estimate, General Martin Dempsey, chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, said building up a viable rebel force on the ground would be vital to rolling back the gains of the IS group in Syria -- but warned it would take time and patience.

"We've had estimates anywhere from 12,000 to 15,000 is what we believe they would need to recapture lost territory in eastern Syria," Dempsey told a news conference at the Pentagon.

The current plan for 5,000 recruits to be trained and armed by American instructors over the next year was never intended to represent the total number of troops forming the "moderate" rebel forces.

"Five thousand has never been the end state...," he said.

It was the first time Washington had put a number on how big a rebel force might be required to prevail against the IS extremists in Syria.

The general said defeating the IS group would take more than air power and that "a ground component" was an important aspect of the US-led campaign.

"We believe the path to develop that is the Syrian moderate opposition," he said.

The general said he was "confident" the training effort would be successful but pleaded for patience.

"We have to do it right. Not fast," he said.

"We need to have military leaders that bind them together. They have to have a political structure into which they can hook, and therefore be responsive to. And that's going to take some time."

The US Congress last week approved President Barack Obama's plan to train and equip up to 5,000 "moderate" rebel troops, and Saudi Arabia has offered to host the training.

Asked who was the head of the opposition that was receiving US assistance, Pentagon Chief Chuck Hagel said there was no leader at the moment as Washington was vetting the recruits.

"We don't have a head of it, in that we are vetting and will continue to vet through our regional partners, State Department, intelligence departments . . .," he said. "We're not going to instruct them as to who their leaders are."

He said a total of 43 US-led air strikes in Syria this week and about 200 in Iraq since August 8 had damaged the IS group but there was a long fight ahead.

"I also want to emphasize that no one is under any illusions -- under any illusions -- that airstrikes alone will destroy ISIL," said Hagel, using an alternative acronym for the group.

"They are one element of our broader comprehensive campaign against ISIL, a campaign that has diplomatic, economic, intelligence and other military components, working with coalition partners and a new government in Iraq."

Hagel also said the cost of the air war for the United States was at about at $7 million to $10 million a day and acknowledged that the Obama administration would have to ask Congress for more funds to cover the operation in coming months.

The US government was still not certain if air attacks in Syria this week had killed senior leaders of the IS outfit or of the Khorsasan group, a collection of Al-Qaeda militants. Dempsey said.

"What we do is, we monitor various kinds of intelligence. We scan social media, which is normally the first place you find out, frankly. But it's too soon to tell," the general said.

The advance of Islamic State (IS) jihadists through Syria's Kurdish areas has thrown a serious obstacle in the way of efforts to make peace between Turkey and Kurdish militants, just when an end was in sight to a 30-year insurgency.

The outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) has for three decades waged a rebellion against the Turkish authorities aimed at winning self-rule for Kurds living in Turkey's southeast.

The insurgency has claimed some 40,000 lives on both sides but in recent times optimism has increased that a historic end to the conflict could be in sight.

The PKK agreed a ceasefire in 2013 as the ruling party of then prime minister, now President, Recep Tayyip Erdogan offered greater rights to Kurds, partly in hope of their support in elections.

Peace talks rapidly become mired in wrangling, but Turkey's presidential elections in August, where Erdogan once again reached out to the Kurds, created hope of a breakthrough.

Erdogan loyalist and secret service chief Hakan Fidan has been leading direct contacts with the jailed leader of the PKK, Abdullah Ocalan, who is serving out a life sentence on the prison island of Imrali in the Sea of Marmara off Istanbul.

Still seen as the number one overall leader of Turkey's Kurds, Ocalan in August declared that Turkey was on the verge of "historic developments" and the "30 year war" was at the stage of coming to an end.

But the advance of IS jihadists has again ripped open the raw wounds between the two sides and exposed the fragility of Turkey's peace process.

- 'Government fuelling distrust' -

In sharp contrast to his previous optimism, Ocalan issued a new statement this week accusing Ankara of dragging its feet in the peace process.

Ocalan complained that while the Kurdish peace process had stalled, Turkey had been negotiating with IS to secure the release of dozens of its citizens abducted from the Iraqi city of Mosul.

Hasip Kaplan, an MP from the pro-Kurdish People's Democratic Party (HDP), said if the government does not unveil a roadmap by September 30, then this would signal it does not want to "come to the table with Kurds."

"The government has fuelled distrust with each step," he told AFP.

After jihadists closed in on the Syrian largely Kurdish town of Ain al-Arab, known as Kobane to Kurds, some 150,000 mainly Kurdish refugees fled into Turkey.

Yet the situation strained rather than eased tensions, with Ankara fearing PKK militants could grow in size and confidence if they join the anti-IS fight.

The PKK has long sniffed a complicity between Turkey and Islamist jihadists in the fight to oust Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, charges Turkey denies.

Kurdish militants were incensed when Turkish security forces at the weekend refused to allow Kurds to cross the border into Syria to join the fight against IS, sparking violent clashes.

"I don't trust the Turkish government. On one hand it opens the border to welcome us, and on the other hand it is just giving arms to IS," said Kurdish refugee Ismail Ziravek after crossing the border.

Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus, who met this week with HDP lawmakers, said the government remained committed to the peace process.

But he said "there are some dangerous groups who want to derail it."

- 'Ultimatum to Turkey' -

Going even further than Ocalan, the PKK's military chief Murat Karayilan, whose forces are based in northern Iraq, said the peace process was now over.

But he emphasised that Ocalan -- known to Kurdish militants simply as "Apo" (uncle) -- "has the final say."

The Kurdistan Communities Union (KCK) -- considered the urban wing of the mountain-based (PKK) -- meanwhile said that the ruling party was conducting a "war" against Kurds.

But analysts said that the PKK and the KCK's hardline positions were not representative of all Kurds, who make up an estimated 20 percent of Turkey's population.

"The KCK's statement should be seen as an ultimatum to Turkey to force it to provide assistance in Kurds' fight against the IS. Nothing more," said Sinan Ulgen, visiting scholar at Carnegie Europe in Brussels.

"There is still little support for a return to violence within the Kurdish political movement," he said.

Soner Cagaptay, director of the Turkish Research Programme at The Washington Institute, said he expected the peace process would continue but predicted the PKK would issue threats "in order to secure access to Kobane through Turkey."

.


Related Links
News From Across The Stans






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle




Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News





THE STANS
China jails Uighur scholar for life for 'separatism': lawyer
Beijing (AFP) Sept 23, 2014
A Chinese court on Tuesday sentenced a prominent scholar from China's mostly-Muslim Uighur minority to life in prison for "separatism," his lawyer said, in a case which critics say could add to tensions in the restive Xinjiang region. Ilham Tohti, a former university professor and outspoken critic of Beijing's policies in the vast western region, "will certainly appeal", the sentence handed ... read more


THE STANS
Raytheon producing backup components for missile defense radar

Raytheon providing ongoing support for Patriot air defense system

Israel, US test upgraded Arrow 2 missile interceptor

INFORMS Study on Iron Dome Asks: What Was its Impact?

THE STANS
U.S. Navy eyes Norwegian missile

Raytheon announces full-rate production of Talon rocket

China shows off new missile test on primetime television

Diehl delivers 4,000th production IRIS-T missile to Sweden

THE STANS
AeroVironment's Wasp microdrone being supplied to Marine Corps

Fury glide bomb dropped from Shadow UAS

Iran unveils new missile-equipped drone

IBC Advanced Alloys Delivers First UAS Components for Analysis

THE STANS
Space control Airmen ensure constant communication

Russian Aerospace Defense Forces Again Dismiss Satellite Explosion Rumors

Harris Corporation supplying radios to Air Force Special Operations Command

Harris Corporation supply Falcon III RF-340M radios to U.S. military

THE STANS
Australia OKs low-rate production of new military rifle

BAE, Patria team to win armored vehicle contract from Australia

Oshkosh passes review in competition to replace the Humvee

Airbus Defense and Space helps secure Saudi border

THE STANS
Poland, Pakistan, Lebanon seek U.S. military hardware

Airbus to restructure defence division, sell off units

Netherlands ups defence spending in wake of downed MH17

Israeli arms sale to Ukraine blocked: report

THE STANS
China and Japan resume maritime talks: Xinhua

NATO says Russian forces 'still inside Ukraine'

Chinese warships in first call at an Iran port: media

India says Modi raised China border incursions with Xi

THE STANS
Smallest-possible diamonds form ultra-thin nanothread

World's smallest reference material is big plus for nanotechnology

Smallest possible diamonds form ultra-thin nanothreads

Engineers show light can play seesaw at the nanoscale




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.