. Military Space News .
WAR REPORT
Israel kills 8 Gazans as border violence spirals

Tit-for-tat firing into Israel after Gaza strikes
Jerusalem (AFP) March 22, 2011 - Palestinian militants early Tuesday fired a projectile into southern Israel from Gaza after overnight aerial raids by Israeli jets, a military spokesman said, adding that there were no casualties. "The projectile, whose exact nature we have not yet ascertained, landed in the Eshkol district" in the Negev desert, he said. An Israeli military spokesman had earlier confirmed that aircraft attacked a total of six targets in Gaza overnight in strikes which Palestinian medics said had wounded 17 people. The air strikes came after a tense weekend which saw scores of mortar rounds fired into Israel from Gaza. Hamas, which rules Gaza, said Saturday's barrage had been in response to an Israeli strike last week that killed two of its members, but that it was ready to call an end to the tit-for-tat violence if Israel also followed suit.
by Staff Writers
Gaza City, Palestinian Territories (AFP) March 22, 2011
Eight Gazans were killed on Tuesday, among them two minors and four militants, as tensions soared along the border after days of rocket fire and retaliatory air strikes.

The victims died in two separate Israeli attacks on the eastern part of Gaza City following a day of bloodshed and violence.

Two of the dead were youngsters, aged 11 and 16, and four of them were from the armed wing of the radical Islamic Jihad movement, medical and militant sources said.

Four of the victims died when an Israeli shell slammed into a family home in Shejaiya, medics said.

Several hours later, another four people were killed -- all of them militants -- in an Israeli air strike in the nearby Zeitun neighbourhood.

The surge in bloodshed follows days of rising cross-border violence, which has ramped up tensions between Israel and Gaza's Islamist Hamas rulers and once again raised fears of a large-scale Israeli military invasion to stamp out rocket fire.

The latest attack took place in Zeitun, killing four members of the Al-Quds Brigade, the armed wing of Islamic Jihad, a group spokesman said, naming them as Mohammed Abed, Saada Heles, Adham al-Harazine and Mohammed Atya al-Harazine.

The army confirmed the strike, saying it had hit "a group of terrorists who were about to fire rockets towards Israel."

The air strike came hot on the heels of deadly hit on the Shejaiya house, which killed four, two of them minors, and injured another 12, among them at least three young children.

Emergency services spokesman Adham Abu Selmiya said the deaths occurred when Israeli artillery "opened fire on young people who were playing football."

The dead, three of whom were cousins, were named as Mohammed al-Helu, 11; Yasser Ahad al-Helu, 16; Yasser Hamad al-Helu, 50 and Mohammed Harara, 20.

Four of the injured were in serious condition while the other eight were in moderate condition, Abu Selmiya said.

The bloodshed drew an angry response from the armed wing of Hamas, the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades, which vowed revenge.

"This crime will not go unpunished and the resistance is not afraid of the so-called Zionist deterrence," a Hamas website quoted Brigades spokesman Abu Obeid as saying.

And Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas, who is currently on a three-day visit to Moscow, condemned "the Israeli escalation which has cost the lives of many Palestinians, including children," his spokesman Nabil Abu Rudeina said.

"We ask everyone to remain calm so that it does not affect Mahmud Abbas's planned visit to Gaza which is aimed at forming a government to end the division and to life the siege on Gaza," he added.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu expressed regret about the accidental deaths, but emphasised that the shooting was carried out in response to Hamas firing at Israeli citizens.

"It is unfortunate that Hamas continues to rain dozens of rockets down on Israeli civilians, intentionally using civilians as human shields. Israel has no intention of causing the situation to deteriorate but at the same time, the IDF will continue to act decisively to protect Israeli citizens."

UN special coordinator for the Middle East peace process Robert Serry also condemned the killings an injuries, with a statement saying "he is very concerned at the escalating situation in Gaza and southern Israel."

The Israeli army confirmed it had fired mortar shells shortly after four Qassam rockets hit Israel, with a spokeswoman insisting it "does not seek an escalation in the south."

The army insisted there were "terrorists among the dead" but nevertheless said it had had opened an investigation into the incident.

It was the third military strike on Shejaiya on Tuesday, following an earlier air strike, which seriously wounded one militant, and a burst of tank fire, which left two civilians moderately injured shortly after dawn.

In the late morning, a man was seriously wounded when an Israeli drone fired a missile at militants whom the army said "were preparing to launch an anti-tank missile" at troops operating nearby.

Earlier, witnesses in the same neighbourhood said two civilians were injured when an Israeli tank opened fire shortly after a Qassam rocket was fired into Israel, causing neither injury nor damage.

Overnight, Israel staged multiple air raids on Gaza, wounding 17 people, including two women and seven children. Most of them were lightly injured.

Two days earlier, the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades fired some 50 mortar rounds into the Jewish state, slightly injuring two people, in what was the most intensive bombardment since the end of Israel's 22-day war on January 18, 2009.

That offensive killed 1,400 Palestinians, more than half of them civilians, and 13 Israelis, 10 of them soldiers.



Share This Article With Planet Earth
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit
YahooMyWebYahooMyWeb GoogleGoogle FacebookFacebook



Related Links



Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News


WAR REPORT
Israeli jets strike Gaza after Hamas offers truce
Gaza City, Palestinian Territories (AFP) March 21, 2011
Israeli jets carried out at least five air strikes in the Gaza Strip late on Monday in which 17 people were wounded, mostly lightly, Palestinian emergency workers said. They said that two women and seven children were among those hurt. The Israeli military had no immediate comment. Palestinian witnesses said that among the targets were a police post of the Islamic Hamas movement, whi ... read more







WAR REPORT
MEADS System Integration Begins At Italian Test Site

US Welcomes Mutually Reinforcing Missile Defense Cooperation With Russia

Northrop Grumman and Boeing Submit ABM Simulation Architecture Proposal

Orbital Launches PTV For Missile Defense Test

WAR REPORT
Rocket slams into Israel city as Gaza violence spirals

Taiwan missile test flops again

Russia to double missile production from 2013: Putin

China aims new missile at Taiwan: intelligence chief

WAR REPORT
Northrop Grumman Ships First Broad Area Maritime Surveillance Fuselage

Dassault, BAE press ahead with drone plan

Mexico defends decision to use US drones in drug war

Death toll up to 24 in NW Pakistan drone strike: officials

WAR REPORT
Gilat Announces New Military Modem For Robust Tactical Satcom-On-The-Move

Advanced Emulation Accelerates Deployment Of Military Network Technologies

Tactical Communications Group Completes Deployment Of Ground Support Systems

Raytheon Announces Next Generation of ACU Interoperable Communications

WAR REPORT
Lockheed Martin Support Enables High-Tempo F-22 Deployments Worldwide

IAI, Elbit to collaborate on jet trainer

Four charged in plot to export jet engines to Iran

Heavy Body Armor Result Of Over-Engineering

WAR REPORT
Russia To Revamp Air Defense With S-400, Pantsir-S Systems

Iranian on trial in Nigeria lacked arms licence: statement

Elbit And IAI Establish Joint Company

GD Small Manufactures One Billion Rounds Of Ammunition For US Army

WAR REPORT
Obama, Rousseff take up security concerns

France back in US favor amid Libya, Japan crises

India assesses Chinese military abilities

Gates lauds 'extraordinary' progress with Russia

WAR REPORT
Scientists Build World's First Anti-Laser

Yale scientists build 'anti-laser'

'Air laser' could find bombs at a distance

ONR Achieves Milestone In Free Electron Laser Program


The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2010 - SpaceDaily. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement