. Military Space News .
NUKEWARS
Talks to save Iran nuclear deal get off to good start
By Julia ZAPPEI
Vienna (AFP) April 6, 2021

US says Vienna talks among partners on Iran 'constructive'
Washington (AFP) April 6, 2021 - The United States said Tuesday that initial talks by its partners in Vienna on Iran were "constructive" as President Joe Biden looks for ways to rejoin a 2015 nuclear deal.

"We do see this as a constructive and certainly welcome step," State Department spokesman Ned Price told reporters, while noting that the United States has not directly participated.

"It is a potentially useful step as we seek to determine what it is that the Iranians are prepared to do to return to compliance with the stringent limitations under the 2015 deal, and as a result what we might need to do to return to compliance ourselves."

European allies of the United States along with Russia and China are meeting in Vienna with Iran in the most forceful bid yet to revive the nuclear agreement from which former president Donald Trump withdrew the United States.

With Iran refusing to meet the United States directly, US envoy Rob Malley is at a separate hotel with European diplomats planning to shuttle messages within the city.

Iran wants Biden first to lift sweeping sanctions imposed by Trump when he left the agreement in 2018 and launched a "maximum pressure" campaign to fight Tehran on multiple fronts.

Iran, Russia and the United States reacted positively Tuesday to the opening exchanges in a first day of talks in Vienna aimed at rescuing an international agreement on Tehran's nuclear programme.

US President Joe Biden has said he is ready to reverse the decision of his predecessor Donald Trump to withdraw from the landmark 2015 agreement, negotiated to ensure that Iran never developed a military nuclear programme.

And after Moscow gave a positive assessment of the opening of the talks earlier Tuesday Washington's reaction a little later was also upbeat. Iran too, described the opening talks as constructive.

"I can say that overall, the meeting was constructive," the head of the Iranian delegation, Abbas Araghchi, said in a video on Iranian broadcaster Irinn.

The United States was not present at those discussions because Iran has refused to meet the US delegation so long as its sanctions against Tehran remain in place. The European Union is acting as an intermediary.

Mikhail Ulyanov, Russia's Vienna-based envoy to international organisations, said Tuesday's meeting between those parties still in the deal -- Iran, China, Britain, France, Germany and Russia -- had been "successful".

It would take time to restore the agreement, he said.

"The most important thing after today's meeting of the Joint Commission is that practical work towards achieving this goal has started," he tweeted.

"We do see this as a constructive and certainly welcome step," US State Department spokesman Ned Price said of the talks a little later.

"It is a potentially useful step as we seek to determine what it is that the Iranians are prepared to do to return to compliance with the stringent limitations under the 2015 deal, and as a result what we might need to do to return to compliance ourselves," he added.

- 'Back on track' -

Since Trump pulled the US out of the deal with Iran in 2018, re-imposing sanctions on Tehran, the remaining parties have been struggling to save the agreement, as Iran has gradually stepped up its nuclear activities.

Tehran is demanding an end to the crippling sanctions Trump imposed -- before which Iran will not meet the US delegates.

Talks between the delegates from the remaining members of the 2015 agreement will continue Wednesday at the luxury hotel in Vienna, a diplomat familiar with the discussions said.

The US delegation is due to meet in a different high-end hotel, also in downtown Vienna, with EU negotiators acting as go-betweens.

At the same time, two expert-level groups -- on sanctions lifting and nuclear issues -- are working "to identify concrete measures to be taken by Washington and Tehran" to restore the deal, Ulyanov said.

"We need to make the best of this diplomatic space to bring the JCPOA back on track," said a tweet from EU diplomat Enrique Mora, the chair of Tuesday's meeting, referring to the pact by its acronym.

"Our clear goal is to return to full and effective implementation of the agreement by all sides," he added.

Ahead of the talks, US special envoy Rob Malley suggested that the United States could be open to lifting sanctions and returning to the deal, comments welcomed by Iran government spokesman Ali Rabiei.

"We find this position realistic and promising. It could be the start of correcting the bad process that had taken diplomacy to a dead end," he told reporters in Tehran.

Iran confirmed in January it was enriching uranium to 20 percent purity, well beyond the threshold set by the deal.

Rabiei reiterated Iran was ready to reverse the steps it had taken as soon as all sanctions imposed during the Trump administration are lifted.

- 'Complex process' -

EU spokeswoman Nabila Massrali warned of a "complex process" ahead, stressing that it was too soon to anticipate the outcome.

It would take "joint efforts", she said, to see "what sanctions can be lifted and how to settle the nuclear issue".

Kelsey Davenport, director for Non-proliferation Policy at the Arms Control Association think-tank, argued on the eve of the talks for a "bold first step by both sides" to inject "much-needed momentum" into the process.

Washington, for example, could unfreeze Iranian funds held in foreign banks and facilitate humanitarian trade, and Tehran could stop enriching uranium beyond the levels agreed in the 2015 accord, said Davenport.

burs-jj/tgb


Related Links
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.
SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only


NUKEWARS
Iran govt welcomes 'promising' US comments on sanctions
Tehran (AFP) April 6, 2021
Iran on Tuesday welcomed "promising" recent comments by US officials explicitly suggesting that the United States lift sanctions in order to return to the 2015 nuclear deal. "We find this position realistic and promising. It could be the start of correcting the bad process that had taken diplomacy to a dead end," government spokesman Ali Rabiei told journalists in Tehran. The United States joins talks Tuesday in the Austrian capital Vienna - where the 2015 agreement was struck - aimed at salva ... read more

Comment using your Disqus, Facebook, Google or Twitter login.



Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

NUKEWARS
Missile Warning Satellite Delivered to Cape Canaveral

Lockheed Martin awarded $3.7B to modernize key missile defense mission

Lockheed, Northrop to compete for Next Generation Interceptor program

Northrop Grumman Common Infrared Countermeasures System ready for full-rate production

NUKEWARS
US Air Force Likely About to Test-Fire ARRW Hypersonic Missile for First Time - Report

Lockheed Martin awarded $1B contract for Precision Fires All-Weather Rocket

USS Gabrielle Giffords launches Naval Strike Missile in operational test

Lockheed Martin wins $2.76B Army contract for guided missile rockets

NUKEWARS
AFRL Completes XQ-58A Valkyrie Flight and Payload Release Test

Real life laboratory for research into and testing of unmanned aerial systems

Northrop Grumman's optionally-manned Firebird demonstrates operational flexibility

York Space Systems Announces Successful Test of Autonomous Operations Upgrade

NUKEWARS
Japan-Germany international joint experiment on space optical communication

Parsons awarded $250M Seabed-to-Space ISR contract

Air Force exercises push data integration from across military domains

Airbus, Fujitsu and Thales in team up for UK army future tactical communication program

NUKEWARS
Marines deploy with new JLTV following month-long training exercise

Marine Corps fires commander over July 2020 AAV accident that killed 9

Army tests oxygen generator with longer shelf life

AFRL partnership seeks to "engineer" improved human performance

NUKEWARS
China affirms strong Serbia ties on defence tour of east Europe

Northrop Grumman prepares IBCS for initial operational test and evaluation

Lockheed Martin well-positioned to capitalize on key technologies with Aerojet Rocketdyne acquisition

NATO chief says defence spending up despite pandemic

NUKEWARS
Philippines accuses China of plans to occupy more South China Sea 'features'

Philippines says Chinese ships 'swarming' area around disputed Spratly Islands

Turkey detains 10 retired admirals over open letter

Turkey condemns admirals' warning over Bosphorus treaty

NUKEWARS
Scientists use DNA technology to build tough 3D nanomaterials

New "metalens" shifts focus without tilting or moving

Nanowire could provide a stable, easy-to-make superconducting transistor

New technique builds super-hard metals from nanoparticles









The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.